Monday, August 19, 2013

Congrats Banzai!

Well, my AT friend Doug "Banzai" Douma finished his thru hike this morning. I'm so proud of him! I've been following his blog most of the way. Unfortunately, it sounds like he didn't particularly enjoy the thru-hiking experience. I read in one of his posts today, "No one should do this. I’ve been posting some nice pictures on Facebook, but the reality is that those are the few exciting moments. 99.7% of the time hiking the AT is just a long boring miserable walk." Luckily for me, that does nothing to dissuade me from trying a thru hike myself. I'm still incredibly excited, although I know it will be HARD and, at times, pretty miserable. But how many times in your life can you just take off and do something like this? Just be immersed in a totally new culture, set your own agenda (or let the weather set it for you) and just do something out of the ordinary? I can't wait! I hope to be able to finish the whole trail just like Banzai did. Only time will tell if my body and morale can hold out that long. Here's a screenshot of Doug's Facebook post. Congrats, Banzai!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment