Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lost Maples Shakedown Trip

I did my first shakedown trip last weekend. I headed out to Lost Maples State Park with a couple of friends for a two night backpacking trip. Rain was in the forecast, so it was the perfect time to test my gear and figure out just how much I like camping and hiking in the rain. I was very pleased with all my gear. My tent set up much easier than it did in the backyard when I tested it a few days ago. It kept me dry both nights when it rained for several hours. My Tyvek ground sheet also worked well, although it was a little “crunchy” sounding every time I moved that first night. My 98% DEET didn’t seem to work all that well, but maybe I didn’t apply it frequently enough. Honestly, DEET kind of freaks me out, especially when it started eating through my nail polish. Not good. I had about 22 bites on my legs when we left on Sunday.

One of my favorite pieces of gear was my MSR insulated mug. I debated getting that thing for a long time. Could I justify the weight or the pack space? Let me tell you, it was SO NICE to have a warm mug of tea with my meals. And my mug kept warm much longer than the boys’ cups did. The food I packed also worked out well. The pasta sides were bland compared to the boys’ Mountain House meals, but mine were much cheaper and not all that bad. I even liked the foil pack of salmon I brought along. Oh, and hiking with trekking poles was life changing! Why haven’t I used them before? I felt much more confident on the slippery, rocky ground and was able to move much faster. Love at first use!

The piece of gear I was least happy with was my pack. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Circuit. There’s just no way I can fit everything in there comfortably. It worked great as a daypack when we went on a 9 mile outing, but with everything in there, it barely closed. I’m going to shop around at REI in a few weeks and see if I can find a better match. So all in all, it was a great trip! I’ll include some photos below.








 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment