Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day #86 - 92

June 15 – 21 

Miles Hiked: 1088.4
Miles to Katahdin: 1096.9

We’re in the middle of the “roller coaster,” a section of trail with many steep ups and downs in a row. It’s not nearly as bad as it sounds. I feel like it must have been named by weekenders. The terrain is hardly noticeable to a thru-hiker.


When we arrived at camp the night of June 15, it smelled like a large animal had died nearby. I had to investigate! I was hiking around in the woods when Muffin Man, who had fallen behind, came up behind me on the trail and said, “Man! It smells like shit!” Then he saw me in the woods and tried to disguise his disgust. He thought it might be me!!! I told him I was looking for a dead animal and he joined me in the hunt. We never found anything, but the smell persisted and none of us got water from the nearby stream.

On June 16, we passed the 1,000 mile mark! Woohoo! We’re ALMOST halfway there. It feels like quite an accomplishment. We also crossed out of Virginia and into West Virginia! 



After talking to the caretaker at the Blackburn AT Center, we made an unplanned stop at Torlone’s pizzeria. We wanted to fill up on good water (she said there wasn’t any for several miles) and avoid an oncoming storm. We left our packs outside and sat down to eat. I looked outside and saw that it had started to pour. I jumped up to grab my pack and the rest of the hikers in my group immediately followed. The other patrons just stared in amazement. I don’t know if they thought we were bailing on the check or what. It all happened so quickly. No hiker wants wet gear though so we moved at lightning speed and totally forgot about our hiker hobbles. At the end of dinner, we were surprised to hear that a local woman had taken care of our check. Being out here really restores your faith in humanity. People can be so nice if given the chance and shown some appreciation. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to thank her because she had already left the restaurant. We’ll all be able to pay her kindness forward in the future though.

I woke up on June 17 to find a deer tick embedded near my rib cage. Man! Those are the teeny tiny kind that can carry Lyme disease. I check myself every night, so I’m not sure where it came from. I removed it with tweezers and have been keeping an eye on it to see if I develop the telltale bull’s eye rash. So far so good! Lyme is one of my worst fears on the trail. It can have lifelong consequences if not caught early, but they say a tick needs to be embedded for a day or two before it can transmit the disease.

It was a HOT hike into Harper’s Ferry for photos at the psychological halfway point. My shirt was soaked by the time I made it to the ATC. I dried it on the sidewalk in front of the building for two hours before putting it back on for my official photo. I was thru-hiker #636 to pass through Harper’s Ferry this year. I think I was in the early 600s when I left Springer. There are a lot of hikers this year! I’m guessing there are at least 500 behind me!


While I was waiting to have my photo taken for the album, I flipped through last year’s and this year’s albums looking for my friends. They have albums dating back many years. I’d love to go back and take a closer look someday. I didn’t have nearly enough time to look as much as I wanted to.

I left town before the rest of my group and found a beautiful campsite at an overlook. I pitched my tent near a rock “couch” someone had set up. As I waited for Bluebird to arrive, a goat appeared. That goat was relentless! It really wanted some of my food and kept licking my Ziplocs and even trying to carry some of it away. Then it tried the guilt trip method. It stood in my line of sight and started chewing on a branch full of dead leaves. Didn’t work. I didn’t give it any food and I didn’t let Bluebird either. I think that goat gets plenty of handouts from other campers. I don’t want to contribute to the problem.


June 18 was another hot one. I got to take a real shower at a picnic area. You can’t truly appreciate a good shower until you haven’t had one in several days. The rest of our crew caught up to us while we ate lunch after our showers. Everyone besides me decided to hitch into town. Our plan was to meet at Annapolis Rocks, a campsite at an “outstanding” overlook (according to the guide book) that night. Luckily for the group, the man that gave them the hitch offered to let them stay at his place overnight. His wife apparently cooked them a feast! I stayed at Annapolis Rocks riding out a thunderstorm. The lightning was striking really close to our tents and I was pretty freaked out, but I lived to tell about it. I was pretty close to running across the campsite and jumping in Sherpa’s tent for safety, but that wouldn’t have helped either of us much.


Earlier that day, I visited the original Washington Monument. It was pretty cool and I met some nice section hikers there. One was an engineer and one a teacher. They were both men in their 50s and want to thru-hike someday. I love meeting new people along the trail! We definitely have a shared passion and sense of ambition.




June 19 was a race against the weather forecast. I lucked out and each time I checked the forecast, the rain had been pushed back to later in the day. I reached Raven Rock Shelter just seconds before the skies opened up. My timing was impeccable. It was mid-afternoon, so the only other people there were two female section hikers. The shelter was really nice with polished floors and large windows to let in light. I immediately set up my stuff and snuggled into my sleeping bag to read and journal in the rain. The rain on the roof was far too loud to permit conversation anyway. My friends showed up a few hours later soaked to the bone! They had to forward some streams too. I’m so glad I hustled to get to the shelter early. Their stuff was still wet in the morning when we left camp.

We crossed the Mason Dixon Line into Pennsylvania on June 20. I’ve been a bit worried about Pennsylvania for months. It’s known for being incredibly rocky. I don’t like rocks and it takes me a long time to cross them. They aren’t supposed to be too bad until the eastern part of the state though. I hope that’s accurate!


We spent a long time lounging and enjoying trail magic at Pen Mar County Park. It had beautiful views of the valley below and we gorged ourselves on the delicious food some former thru-hikers had brought for us. 


Most of us were dragging after that, so a few of us decided to stealth camp in the woods short of a shelter. It’s fun being away from the crowds every now and then. I threw a picture perfect bear line and the boys hoisted them up and tied them off. I’d attribute the perfect line to my skills, but really it was the perfect branch. It was a nice strong, long, horizontal branch extended from the tree at just the right distance from the ground. Needless to say, no bears got our food that night!

June 21 was the summer solstice and Hike Naked Day! It was also an unusually cold day for the time of year. I think the highs were in the 70s. I only heard of one hiker that hiked naked. He hiked behind Simba most of the day. Poor girl. I did see Muffin Man’s butt because he decided to dig a cat hole far too close to camp. Not sure if that counts though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment