Friday, June 13, 2014

Day #68 - The Guillotine

Miles: 17.2 to Thunder Hill Shelter
May 28

So much uphill today! So much! And highs near 90. We saw some snakes, deer, lizards, and skinks. I also saw a racoon scurrying down the trail as we got near the shelter. Early in the day, we stopped at Jennings Creek, a nice wide water source with great flow! We got water, did creek laundry, and waited for Wing It to find the hole in his inflatable sleeping pad. He found it and will repair it tonight.

I heard noises last night and assumed it was people coming into the shelter around midnight. Instead, it was Scout leaving camp. Apparently he wasn't sleeping well on his thin pad and some rodents were making noises by his head. Since he couldn't sleep, he decided to just start hiking. More power to him! I don't think I would enjoy that.

We stopped for lunch at the amazing Bryant Ridge Shelter. It's a two-story shelter with lots of open space, a great water source, legit mouse hangers, and several picnic tables. I would have loved to stay the night! Because it was so hot, most of us stripped off our sweat-soaked shirts to dry them in the sun and ate "naked lunch."



We were scared of the final ascent after Apple Orchard Falls, but it was pretty flat with nice switchbacks. We could hear thunder in the distance, so we were trying to beat any rain or storms and get to the shelter as soon as possible. We passed an FAA tower (see photo) on the way to The Guillotine, a cool rock formation that looks like it might fall on you at any moment. The trail passes right under it.





The shelter was super buggy and we expected rain, so Bluebird and I decided to set up our tents inside of the shelter. I wouldn't normally do that, but the only other person using the shelter was Muffin Man, so there was plenty of room. We stayed dry and bug free, but I could hear mice around my tent all night. I'm glad they didn't chew through it!


When I threw the bear line tonight, I got my rock sack lodged in a tree. We weren't able to get it out. R.I.P. rock sack. At least I got to use you a whole three or four times! Maybe one day it will fall out during a storm and another hiker will get to use it.

Best Thing: The Guillotine, Bryant Ridge Shelter, and conquering a tough day.
Looking Forward To: Getting to town tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to compare what you started out carrying on your hike with what you end up carrying on your hike. What worked and what didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey! I want more blogs!! :)

    ReplyDelete