Friday, June 13, 2014

Day #67 - Get Well Soon, Mighty Blue!

Miles: 20.0 to Cove Mountain Shelter
May 27

Last night, Muffin Man told us how the German Girls (Cowboy and Indian) split up and why Indian ended up leaving the trail. He said that they got in an argument and Cowboy ended up leaving with some of their shared gear. I guess that was the last straw and Indian decided to spend some time in Atlanta before heading back to Germany. Apparently, her dog died of Lyme disease after she got off the trail. What a horrible experience! I hope she's doing okay.

I talked to Muffin Man about Africa and wild dogs today. Those are my favorite animals, and he had the opportunity to see them hunt when he visited Africa a few years ago. I'm so jealous!

Today was a pretty good day for wildlife. We startled two deer and watched them run up the mountain. We also saw two rat snakes (Muffin Man almost stepped on both), a toad, an eft, and a gorgeous Luna moth (at camp). We also passed a beautiful garter snake just as it finished swallowing a meal.


Speaking of meals, I packed out guacamole and had it in a tortilla wrap today. Yum! It beats tuna salad any day! I can't wait to eat more!

It was a long day and the heat drained us. The humidity out here is relentless. It FINALLY rained for about 30 minutes today. We donned our pack covers but no rain gear. It's just too hot. The rain felt wonderful and helped cool us down a bit. The terrain has been pretty in spite of the heat. The pink blooms on the rhododendrons are beautiful!


Tomorrow we hit the 750 mile mark. I remember what a struggle it was to get to the 100 mile mark. That seems so long ago! The miles are flying by now!

Mom texted me that Mighty Blue has cellulitis and doesn't know if he can continue hiking. Apparently a dog scratched his leg and it became badly infected. Oh no! Muffin Man wants to send him a card but we don't know if it will reach him before he leaves the hospital. I hope he is able to return to the trail soon! I hate it when I hear people have to get off the trail. Crossing my fingers I can make it the whole way!

Best Thing: All the wildlife we saw today.
Looking Forward To: The Guillotine!

1 comment: