Monday, May 5, 2014

Day #34 - Life is Good

Miles: 15.8 to Spivy Gap

I can't believe I'm actually out here doing this! Over 330 miles down! It's everything I thought it would be. Meeting great people, learning just how much my mind and body are capable of. Physically, it's more punishing (although not harder) than I thought it would be. I didn't expect my body to take the daily impact so hard. I don't miss much from the "real world." Perhaps a pillow, but as gross as it is, I've gotten used to going up to a week without a shower. I'm used to using a privy and peeing in the woods. Life is actually pretty great out here, although I would never recommend someone do this unless it's really in their heart. It's just too tough to not be enjoying it.

Today was big mileage but not too terribly bad. The ups were pretty gentle and I flew up the mountain. We passed through lots of pretty, fragrant carpets of flowers. My legs felt pretty good. I hiked the majority of the day without my brace, which actually seems to be helping it feel better. Big Bald had spectacular views! I met a girl named Squirrel and her dog Zima. They are from Wisconsin. We are all camping next to a creek by a road with my group, Cape (a guy from Houston), and Business Time (named after the Flight of the Conchords song!!!). I'm so tired, so this will be a short post. Time for bed!


Best Thing: The views on Big Bald and my legs feeling sore but strong.
Looking Forward To: Mexican food in Erwin.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your having a blast and making great friends!
    That song is now stuck in my head :)

    ReplyDelete