Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day #42 - 20% Done!

Miles: 19.4 to an unnamed site at 438.3

We're 20% done! Woohoo! I forgot to mark the occasion though. We had a steep climb up and over Pond Flats this morning. It was not flat! I like the uphills though. Then we descended down to Watauga Lake where we lunched. threw out our trash, used the facilities and stole some TP. They were nice bathrooms except there was no soap. Oh well. Can't be too picky.

Leaving the lake after crossing the dam we briefly got stuck behind a prison crew cleaning up the trail. Once we passed them my super powered tuna lunch kicked in and I flew up the mountain. I stopped for a snack and realized the M&Ms I had purchased in town were red, white, and blue. How long had THOSE been on the shelf? I wish I had more food but I have plenty to last me until we get to Damascus.

I beat Wing It and Bluebird to the next shelter by about 10 minutes. I met a nice section hiker there who asked us about our pack weights and how we kept ours down, relationship checklists, and what we've learned about ourselves out on the trail. I also met fellow thru-hiker Merman. I've seen his names in the register and remembered his entries because he turns the A in his name into the AT symbol. He has long red hair and looks, well, like a merman. I'm not sure if that's where he got his trail name, though.

Today we hiked our biggest day yet! Feeling great. We are planning a 20+ mile day tomorrow so that we have a short hike into Damascus on Sunday morning. We've heard Norovirus is going around. It hit Kincora hostel and three places in Virginia. I've already had it this year and hope I don't get it again.

The other day the twist lock on my right trekking pole failed. I was able to temporarily fix it with duct tape but will need to get it repaired soon. Maybe during Trail Days?

Best Thing: Big miles and feeling great!
Looking Forward To: Nearly reaching Damascus.


1 comment: