Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day #50 - Hooray for Short Days!

Miles: 7.0 to Chatfield Shelter

Remember that brunch I was looking forward to? It didn't happen. We tried to walked across the street from our hotel to the diner in the inn across the street but it's permanently closed. AWOL fail! The Mexican place was also closed for breakfast, so we ended up going to McDonald's. I haven't been to a McDonald's in years! It was the most hip McDonald's I've ever seen! It must have been new or recently renovated. Surprising for Marion, VA.

It started raining as we walked back to the hotel. We called a taxi just before check-out time to take us back to Mt. Roger's Visitor Center. It was very small-town Virginia. The driver looked like a good old country boy and the ashtray in the backseat was full of cigarette butts. He was a nice guy though and got us back to the trail safely.

It rained on and off but the temperature is nice. We met about half a dozen new folks today including Ygrette, Indy, Aviator, Soleil, and Snailman. My baby toe on my left foot has a very painful, annoying blister but I'll live. We got to camp very early (by 3:00!) and set up tents in some of the only spots available. It's a bummer when shelters don't have good, flat tenting spots, but my tent is tiny and my sleeping bad in thick so I'm pretty flexible. I can fit into small spots and sleep on roots if I need to. I'd rather sleep in my tent than a shelter almost any day!

Best Thing: Short miles!
Looking Forward To: Hitting the 25% mark tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment