Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day #41 - Laurel Falls

Miles: 13.9 to Laurel Fork Shelter (almost)

It was cold this morning! I was hot last night. This weather is so confusing! I'm excited to get my summer gear (a 45 degree sleeping bag and new clothes).

We passed Hardcore Cascades today, but they were hardly hardcore. They were just small cascades. Someone passing on the trail said it may be named for some hardcore trail maintenance club in the area. Who knows?


The trail was fairly unremarkable today. It was relatively flat and cloudy. Wing It saw some deer. Then things changed. The hike to Laurel Falls was a son of a bitch! Seriously. Why do they build trails like that? There were stone steps nearly straight down. At some points it was just a jumble of rocks. My injured knee was okay but my uninjured knee was very unhappy. We survived though and the falls were beautiful! Well worth the hike.



The "flat" hike to the shelter had many unexpected climbs and descents. AWOL's elevation profiles can be deceptive to say the least. I got a cool photo of Bluebird and Wing It cliff walking by the river. 


At times we walked through some cool canyon-type areas. Reminded me a bit of hiking through Arizona. Before we got to the shelter we stumbled across a beautiful little campsite by the river just big enough for our three tents. I washed my shirt in the river and Wing It got a raging fire going. It's burning my face a bit as I journal.

I have service here! Hell must have frozen over! I was able to FaceTime Heather and my parents. Because we were on video I was able to show them our awesome campsite. Joshua was trying to pinch and bite Heather. I showed my mom the "skin cancer" mystery dark spots on my hands I got after Blood Mountain. I don't have time for that to slow me down, so I'll get it looked at when I get back. It's but a mere flesh wound! Sorta. Tomorrow we hit the 20% mark! I'm very excited about that!

Best Thing: Laurel Falls!
Looking Forward To: Hitting the 20% mark tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment