Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day #2 - It Feels Official Now

Hiked: 9.6 miles to Hawk Mt Shelter
Weather: 50s/30s with morning rain 

This morning Nita told us she was leaving. She said the lows are just too low and that she shouldn't have used this trip as her first night away from her husband. I don't disagree. I later found out she had been throwing up all night from anxiety. Yesterday we had perfect hiking conditions. If she wasn't happy then, getting off the trail was the right thing to do. I said goodbye to her at the shelter. I hope she gets things figured out! 

Kim set out a bit before me, so I was on my own for the short hike to Springer Mt. It started raining right before I left camp, so I put on my rain coat, hat, and pack cover. The hiking wasn't bad. So far, things have been much flatter than I had envisioned. I almost missed the summit of Springer. It was pretty vegetated and the first white blaze and placard werent obvious. I had a hard time finding the trail so I wandered around for a few seconds and stumbled on the first white blaze on a rock. 



Ran into a scout troop at the summit. The leader told me the first 4 days of a thru hike are the hardest. So far, I think mine has been pretty easy! On the way back down, I put a Springer pebble in my pocket to carry to Katahdin. I didn't think to sign the register on Springer, but then again I didn't see it. Hoping my sign-in at Amicalola counts! 

The scenery was green and gorgeous today with a babbling brook and a smooth, pine needle-covered, relatively flat trail. I'm starting to make some trail friends and am happy with my food and gear choices. 

We arrived at Hawk Mt Shelter at 2 pm. We made excellent time! Met Chris, Mike, Greg, Alex, and Terry. Chris, Greg, and Alex are recent college grads. Mike just got out of high school. I think Terry is retired. There were SOOO MANY bear bags on the cable tonight! I'm surprised it didn't collapse! 



When I got to camp to set up my tent, I heard a squirting/leaking sound. Thought it was my NeoAir or my water bladder. Then I noticed it was coming from my hip belt pocket. I thought my camera battery exploded because it was covered in orange liquid. Turns out my mace had sprayed all over my hip belt pocket. I wiped it up the best I could. Seems okay now, but I threw the mace away. Oh well. I don't feel like I need it anyway. I am loving my PStyle though! Makes peeing in the woods so easy! Definitely worth the purchase. 

Best Thing Today: Saw my first white blaze! 

What I'm Looking Forward to Tomorrow: Hiking with new friends! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank Heather for that. :) Too funny about your Mace. Maybe it sensed danger. :) No trail name yet?? Love you.

    ReplyDelete