Friday, March 28, 2014

Day #6 - I'm Still Standing

Miles: 4.8 to Low Gap Shelter
Weather: 60s/30s and sunny 

I slept great last night in my tent. I still had to wake up in the middle of the night to pee, but the stars were gorgeous. It was cold when I woke up, so I cooked my first hot breakfast, two packs of apple cinnamon oatmeal washed down with some hot cocoa. 

I set off early with Mike (Little Foot), Kate (Tigger), Chris, and Kim. We're all hurting except for Kim. She was flying ahead of us. I'm the slowest right now. My knees hurt pretty badly, but not as bad as on Blood Mountain or yesterday. They don't cause me to grimace anymore, which I take as a sign of progress. 

It was a short day, so I tried to take it easy. We got to the shelter before 2:00. At first I insisted I wasn't ready to sleep in a shelter yet because I'm scared of mice, but when I heard there was rain in the forecast, I changed my mind and grabbed the last spot. I didn't want to deal with taking down a wet tent. My first shelter experience! 



I ate pepperoni, string cheese, mayo, and a tortilla for lunch. Now we're just relaxing and hanging out until dinner. 

Cooked broccoli, rice, and cheese Rice-A-Roni for dinner. It was my favorite dinner so far. Can you tell my world has started to center around food? We've all just been talking and hanging out and resting our bodies. There's a guy named Gregg that we met the second night out. He's here tonight and getting on everyone's nerves. He's one of those people that knows EVERYTHING and tries to tell people what they are doing wrong. 

It's supposed to rain tomorrow. Glad we are heading into town soon. 

Best Thing Today: Low mileage day and beautiful stars last night. 

Looking Forward To: Spending a night in town. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacey - I'm Heathers friend and following your blog in awe! You go strong girl. The Hixons in Austin are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete