Friday, March 28, 2014

Day #7 - Slip Slidin' Away

Miles: 9.7 miles to Unicoi Gap/Hiawassee
Weather: 50s/30s, rain in AM and foggy all day

I'm so glad I slept in the shelter last night. I actually got hot and had to take off my down jacket. That's a first. I couldn't roll around or curl up like I normally do because I kept bumping into the people next to me, but I still slept well. Still had to wake up to pee. It's the bane of my existence. So annoying. 

It started raining at 5 a.m., much earlier than we expected. Goat and Jake were sleeping out by the fire so they had to scramble under the shelter floor. It was SUPER FOGGY all day. It was very hard to keep track of time. I set off with Chris, Mike, and Tigger. Kim and Oliver the dog stayed behind. Her gear got wet in her tent so she planned a zero there at Low Gap. Our goal was to meet up with Tigger's parents and take a zero. 

I'm slower than the group and fell behind, but they were nice and kept stopping to wait for me and make sure I hadn't slipped. I have decided to hike at my own pace and not try to race to keep up with my group. When I race I don't take time to look around or take breaks and I aggravate my knees. 

Today's theme sing was Paul Simon's "Slip Slidin' Away." I felt like the nearer I got to my destination the more muddy and slippery it got. 

Stopped at Blue Mt Shelter for a late lunch and a break from the cold rain. We met two men (one thru hiked in '97) hiking with a kid. One of the men had the kid's pack strapped to his chest. About 20 minutes from the parking lot, we came across Tigger's mom on the trail. I couldn't believe she had hiked up in those conditions to meet us. She followed me down and slipped and rolled in the mud on the way. I felt bad but she didn't get hurt, just muddy. 

At the lot, a Baptist church was doing trail magic. They gave me their last burger, a bottle of water (I was out) and a banana (a whole bunch of bananas, actually). I was so thankful. We then piled into Tigger's dad's van and he drove us to the Budget Inn (full) and the Holiday Inn Express. We have a nice room with double beds, a pull out couch, fridge and microwave. Our gear is everywhere! When I came out of the shower, Kim was here! She decided not to stay in camp and booked it to Unicoi. 



Tigger's parents surprised us and booked their room an extra night so we can spread out tomorrow. Showered and ate at an AYCE buffet at Daniel's (southern food). Bushwhacked through drainage ditches to resupply at Dollar General and Ingles. Going to give one of the guys a razor in exchange for a shot of whiskey. Seems like I got the better deal on that one. Bought some Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my knees. 

Gave Chris a new trail name, True Story. He's said that dozens of times today. Icing my knee, drinking PBR and watching HBO. My knee feels better but it might be the beer. Today was tough but this zero is going to be awesome. 

Tonight we were talking about 9/11 and I said it happened when I was a freshman in college. Abby did a double take. She didn't know I was 32. Guess how old she was on 9/11. 7. I'm old out here. 

Mikey's toes are black so Mike and Chris did a little "medical procedure" in the hotel bathroom. They heated a needle with a lighter and poked and hole through his toenail to drain the blood. It grew quite the crowd. Hope it helps! 

Best Thing: Zero day tomorrow. 

Looking Forward To: Not hiking tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. Here's hoping the zero day is all you need it to be and you start tomorrow refreshed and pain free! Go Stacey! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Darth Vader on the top left side of the picture. :) Enjoy your zero. Happy trails! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True Story, lol. Good Nickname for your friend. Happy Trails Stace!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a razor in exchange for a shot of whiskey? Nothing quite like bartering.
    Reminds me of work hahah. Miss ya chica!

    ReplyDelete