Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day #8 - A Wonderful Day for a Zero!

Miles: 0 glorious miles
Weather: 60s/40s and rainy 

It was so great to wake up in a warm hotel room. I'm not going to lie. That room smelled awful. Yesterday when we got there, the boys decided it would be a good idea to put their socks on the heater to dry them out. That combined with all our stinky gear made for a pungent sauna atmosphere in the room. Six of us and a dog still managed to sleep in there. Tonight we're in a new room that Tigger's parents treated us to. It smells MUCH better!

I woke up early to get a hot breakfast in the lobby. Everyone else woke up around 9:30. We walked around Hiawassee several times today grabbing new gear and supplies. We went to the cutest little satellite outfitter, Three Eagles, in a little shed. They had just about everything you could need. I bought some Hot Hands and some canister fuel. Also picked up a cheese sauce foil pack from the hiker box, which is a box where hikers can dump unwanted stuff for others to take. Kris said they were pretty good. They even stamped my passport! 

We also went to Ingles a few times. I bought donut holes to snack on but ants in our room got into them later. Such a sad discovery. I also snagged a soy chai latte from the Starbucks in Ingles. A little taste of normalcy and so good on a rainy day! Three of us got knee braces at the pharmacy. We're all nursing aching bones. Several places we went asked us to sign their hiker logs. It's so sweet that they want to keep track of us! 

We did laundry today and now one of my gaiters is missing. So sad. If it doesn't show up I'll have to order new ones before we hit the Smokies. 

I called Will and my parents tonight. It's nice to be able to find out what's going on back home. I'm in a totally different world out here. I thought no makeup,  dirty hair, hairy legs, and dirty stinky clothes would bother me more than they do. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I was able to shave my legs tonight though. Hallelujah! What a luxury! Won't be able to shower for another 7 days or so. 

We had pizza delivered for lunch and are watching episodes of Cops. I'm icing my knee and taking Chondroitin with every meal. Planning on getting a shuttle back to the trail early in the morning and meeting back up with Kim out on the trail. Might try to crank out a few miles after the shelter too. The weather is supposed to be much better so we'll see how it goes! 

Best Thing: A day of rest! 

Looking Forward To: Hiking in good weather tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey!! Just wanted you to know I'm following your adventures. I also sent an email around the Perot, so know that you have a lot of supporters/followers back in Dallas. Be tough, find joy in new friends, the journey, the beauty around you. Cheers! Harley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey! I am really enjoying your blog. I am so happy that you're having a great time so far. What a great adventure! I'm so envious of you. I would do it if I had the chance. I'm actually brainstorming how I can do it once my 23 month old gets much older. We've come a long way since Heather's bachelorette party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your knee is doing better. Make sure you get your free breakfast at First Baptist Church in Franklin. Grandma and Gramp loved living in there. They used to drive all around there exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strong work, Stacey! If it didn't say it on the bottle, you need to load up when you start taking Glucosamine Chondroitin. It's normal to load for a week. Some cases it's an extra pill and others its double the amount. I just want to make sure you feel the relief as soon as possible. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cheese sauce foil pack? and episodes of Cops???? what did you do with the Stacey I know????

    Hope the weather continues to get better!!!

    ReplyDelete