Friday, April 4, 2014

Day #10 - It's Hot Out Here!

Miles: 10.8 to Plum Orchard Gap Shelter
Weather: 70s/40s, sunny and HOT!

My hip bones were aching last night. I thought I might be getting a UTI or something, then realized my many layers of long underwear were digging into my hips, which have been supporting my pack for the past 9 days. I rolled my waistband down and instantly felt better. I should have done that nights ago! 

I woke up early and hit the trail by 8. It normally takes us about an hour to pack up and get out of camp in the morning. I think my hiker appetite is kicking in. I've been much hungrier lately. It was really hot today. We were all sweating and getting a bit sunburned. I had to take off my leggings and hike in gym shorts. 

Seemed like we had to hike forever to get to Dicks Creek Gap for lunch. A section hiker and trail angel named Kayla took our trash and gave us some sunflower seeds. She's a marine biologist that works west of Key West. She is planning a thru hike soon. 

The next 4.7 miles to the shelter were a bitch. I like uphills because they don't hurt my knees as much as downhills, but this never ended and it was hot! The bugs are coming out but no bites so far. I was daydreaming about a bandana bath in the creek. I stopped at the top of a mountain out of frustration, pulled out the map and saw I was still a mile away. When I finally rolled into Plum Orchard, I stopped to wipe down at the stream on the way into camp. Then Tigger and I took a more proper bandana bath and washed our shirts in the creek. 

Hanging out with Tig, Little Foot, True Story, Simba, Gregg, Jay from Maryland, Stealth (Quiet Mike), Muffin Man (Shoe Shine), Doug (of Doug and Dave) and a few others. I'm sleeping in the shelter tonight. I hung my pack on the lantern hook by the fire because I'm paranoid of mice. 

I ordered gaiters for myself and Tigger using my phone. I accidentally typed Dirty Girls .com instead of DirtyGirlGaiters.com. NOT the same site! Oops! 

According to Tigger, "1,000 babies just showed up." It's a Boy Scout troop. Now it smells like feet in the shelter. They seem like nice kids though. They are sleeping on the 2nd and 3rd levels of the shelter. Wonder if it will be loud tonight. 

Best Thing: Warm weather!!

Looking Forward To: Reaching the NC border tomorrow! 13 states to go! 

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for warm weather!! Love following your blog Stacey!

    ReplyDelete