Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day #16 - The Longest Downhill

Miles: 11.7 to the Nantahala Outdoor Center

I was the first one from our group to leave camp. I wanted to get an early start because of the looong steep downhill up ahead. Tigger was going through her pack this morning and found her trash bag in shreds. She excitedly grabbed it from her pack and exclaimed, "We've been visited!" Then she ran off to show the rest of the group. Luckily they didn't get to any of her other stuff. 

I stayed in front of the group for most of the day. Tigger and co must have been really hurting. They are normally way ahead of me. Today was brutal downhill all the way. My knee felt pretty okay but I was overcompensating so both knees and hips had shooting pains at various points throughout the day. It hurt but it wasn't constant pain. 

I scared up a turkey while I was hiking. I was really far away but it spooked and flew up from the hillside ahead of me. 

I FINALLY made it to the NOC. I could smell the hot food from about a mile away. As soon as we got to the general store we each bought a 25 oz Budweiser. The King of Beers! It was so good! We showered (endless hot water!), did laundry, and ate dinner at the restaurant at the NOC. 

Everyone came back to our room to drink beer and hang out. Beans kept opening twist top beers with his teeth. True Stiry kept saying, "It's still a twist off, dude." It was very funny. Today was tough because of the painful downhills and hiking alone most of the day, but it's so great to end the day surrounded by friends! 

Best Thing: Made it to the NOC! 
Looking Forward To: Waking up in town and a short hike to the shelter tomorrow. 

2 comments: