Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day #29 - Hot Springs, Baby!

Miles: 3.2 to Hot Springs, NC

No one else ever showed up at the shelter last night (very unusual) so I camped alone in my tent. That was never my intent and I had a pretty hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. Owls make creepy noises at night and I didn't want to sleep with earplugs in. I actually got kind of warm during the night and slept with my down jacket and beanie for the first time. I'm such a wimp. 

Of course I woke up safe and sound. I was able to leave camp by 7 and head to town to meet my friends. It was a relatively gradual decline for about an hour and 15 minutes. About halfway down I heard a weird growl that I couldn't identify. I clicked my poles together because everyone knows bears are scared of pole clicks. A few minutes later a hiker approached from the other direction. We exchanged pleasantries, then he said, "Oh, that was me that growled back there if you heard that." What?! Why?! Oh well. 

I could see Hot Springs from a long way off. It's known as a very hiker-friendly town. When I finally got down there I just guessed and turned right on the road. After about 50 yards I didn't see any white blazes so I stopped to pull out my map and get out my rain cover because it was sprinkling. I was just turning around to head the other direction when I man drove by and pointed me the right way. Apparently the same thing happened to several other people. As I said, this town is very good to hikers. There are AT emblems embedded right into the sidewalk and the trail heads straight through the center of town. 



I was going to head straight to the post office and wait there til it opened, but I passed my hobo crew coming into town from their campsite on the far side of the city so we ate breakfast together at the diner. I can eat so much more than I'm used to! I had OJ, French toast, and sides of scrambled eggs and bacon. May not sound like much, but it's like three times what I normally eat. We ate on the covered back patio of the diner even though it was cold and rainy because Twist had Oliver with her. Hiking with a dog adds a whole layer of complications. I don't know if I could do it. 

After breakfast it was off to the P.O. Mom sent me my new credit cards, puppy chow (not actual dog food), my favorite trail mix, Ina Garten Outrageous brownies, and (wait for it...........) 6 MINI BOTTLES OF CROWN ROYAL! Score! World's best mom! I was bragging to everyone. I brought my goodies to the laundromat, stashed what I wanted, and shared the rest. 

Changed into my rain suit in the bathroom then split a load with Wiki. While the laundry was going, I walked across the street to the outfitter. I love outfitters! I picked up a new Rite in the Rain journal and a few other things. 



Once laundry was done I went to check in at my hostel. LOVE!!! Every thru-hiker should try to stay here! I'm the only one from my group staying at Elmer's Sunnybank Inn. It's a 170-year-old house filled with antique furniture. Apparently Earl Schaffer, the first AT thru-hiker, stayed here in the 40s. Elmer bought it in 1978. It's only $20 a night for a single room and you can sign up for gourmet vegetarian meals served family style. It's a no-brainer!

Elmer himself showed me around when I arrived. My room is unbelievable. I have an antique queen bed all to myself! There's an armchair, a desk, a rocking chair, vanity, dresser, two sets of towels and extra blankets. I tried to take pics but it's pretty dark.





I never want to leave and I'm so glad I reserved this place for two nights. I took an amazing hot shower using the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, wash cloth, and towel they provided. Beats a Camp Suds and pack towel shower any day! I'm refreshed! 

I walked back across town (it's a very small town) to visit my friends at the laundromat. Pipe was there! He's a section hiker and I thought he'd already flown home. Glad I got to say goodbye. Then it was off to Dollar General. It wasn't a very good one. I'm becoming a Dollar General expert. We did run into Little Foot there though! Haven't seen him since the NOC two weeks ago. It was his family I stayed with in Franklin. I brought my food back to my room to sort through. Longhorn is staying here too and sat with me while I figured out what food I needed from the outfitter (summed sausage and tuna), then we headed that way together. 

At some point we visited the Hiker Resource Center. They have free Wifi (ATT has no service in this town!) and a running slideshow of hikers that have hiked through. It was fun to see some of our friends up there. The slideshow even contained a note to us from the German Girls (now called Cowboy and Indian). So fun! We all got our photos taken too. 

We ate a late lunch at Still Mountain restaurant. They were showing 13 Going On 30. Love that movie! Bluebird and I talked Woodstock through the entire thing since the sound wasn't turned up. Most of the rest of the crew is staying in a  three-sided trailer behind the restaurant. Sort of like a shelter, but right in the center of town. I'm sooooo thankful to have a warm, dry, cozy, big room in this historic place all to myself! 

Best Thing: This amazing place! 

Looking Forward To: A zero to rest my weary body. 

2 comments:

  1. Worlds best mom! Yay me! Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...did u ask why he growled? Wonder if he heard U clicking ur poles. Lol

    ReplyDelete