Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day #17 - A Walk in the Clouds

Miles: 6.7 to Sassafras Gap Shelter

We were walking in a cold cloud today. We dressed for rain because the forecast called for 100% chance, but soon stripped down t-shirts and shorts because it got so hot. 

Stuff fit into my pack great today! That's always a little worrisome. You worry what you're forgetting...

It's 4:00 and True Story, Tigger, and Wiki are passed out snoring in the shelter. It was a tough climb uphill most of the day, then a race downhill to beat a very cold rain storm. Today's terrain was tough! Luckily, I like uphills. There were some treacherous rocky patches on the trail today. Those take a lot of time and concentration to get over, especially when it's slick. 

We snagged some of the last spots in the shelter. There's a great little awning where we could put our packs and wet gear to dry. It never really rained, but it sprinkled and was misty. Tigger fixed my hyperextended pole again today. My fingers didn't feel cold but haven't been working well since the summit. I couldn't open my knife or my food at the shelter so Tigger and True Story helped me. True Story ALMOST dropped my whole block of cheddar in the dirt in the shelter. We almost weren't friends anymore. I made a double pot of hot cocoa and warmed right up! 

Spent several hours this afternoon updating my blog. It takes so long to type it up, but I love sharing my story and reading the encouraging comments. I was a bit down last night, but it feels great to be warm, done for the day, and surrounded by friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment