Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day #28 - One is the Loneliest Number

Miles: 14.8 to Deer Park Mountain Shelter
Weather: Cloudy and cooler than I expected

Today was all about getting that much closer to Hot Springs. At the last minute, the whole group decided to push 18 miles all the way into town. My legs protested so I'm the only one that stayed behind. It's 6:16 p.m. and I'm literally the only one at this shelter. It's weird. I pitched my tent 3 hours ago. I probably wouldn't have stayed had I realized I'd be all alone. Also, Tigger said it's going to rain tonight. Doh! Oh well. I should be dry in my tent and plan to leave camp by 7:30 anyway. I need to be at the post office between 9-10:30 to pick up my package of goodies and replacement credit cards from home. Two of my credit cards were compromised right after I left Austin so I've been using my backup backup credit card. Boo. 

I can't wait to nearo (take a short day or go nearly zero miles) tomorrow and zero on Sunday! Does a body good! I wouldn't be surprised if the group moves on and doesn't zero Sunday, but I know at least Tigger, Bluebird, and Wing It are. 

Hiking today seemed mostly flat but the downhills killed my knees. Bah! I need a brace for my other leg. It doesn't hurt as badly as my left leg after blood mountain, but it could use some support. Muffin Man is rocking two braces. Why shouldn't I? 

I told Wing It, Bluebird, and Blacksmith not to wait on me today so I could set my own pace. I still hiked with them on uphills but they got pretty far ahead of me on the downhills. Turns out I was only about 10 minutes behind but it feels like so much more. 

Towards the end of the day we came across trail magic! It was Tigger's parents, sister, and her sister's service dog. They had fruit and soda! Apparently they handed out detergent packs before I got there. I grabbed an orange to eat then and a Sprite to enjoy when I reached the shelter. 

We hiked the 4 miles to the shelter where my group begged me to go into town with them. They even offered to carry my load. I appreciated the offer, but I know my body's limits. I'll be in town tomorrow before most of then are even awake. We shall meet again! 

Best Thing: So close to Hot Springs! 
Looking Forward To: Reuniting with friends, getting my mail drop, and doing town things like showering, laundry, and resupply. 

3 comments:

  1. You are doing the right thing by listening to what your body is saying. Some days will just be tougher than others but I don't have to tell you that. Hang in there! Hope a second knee brace is the ticket
    Love you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bank changed all my credit cards too. I think they were just doing it as a precaution after the target leak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what your mom said. Good for you for listening to your body and not your brain. Now if they'd have offered to carry you on one of those things like the egyptian (??) women road in, you know, those things with the chair on the platform with the poles they put on their shoulders, then you should have definitely taken them up. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete