Monday, April 21, 2014

Day #25 - Baby It's COLD Outside!

Miles: 12.9 to Cosby Knob Shelter

It rained hard from about 2:00 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. I had a dream that I flew to Austin to take a zero day and couldn't get back to the trail. I had to go through some maze of bathroom stalls in the airport to try to catch my flight back but I didn't know which city to go to. Bah! 

It started raining soon after we started hiking. The trail turned into a stream and my feet got soaked in my trail runners. Then the rain turned to sleet. By that point I was hiking by myself and started to psych myself out. I started getting worried about hypothermia (only my hands were cold though) and my mood turned south. I stopped to put my gloves on but it took a long time because my fingers were cold. I only managed to get one on before I decided to keep hiking. Later I stopped to put on the other glove and Towny passed by and offered to help me put it on or even wear his mittens. I declined, but that little gesture helped my mood long enough to get to the first shelter. When I arrived, everyone looked much colder than me. That made me feel a bit better about my situation. I ate some snacks and threw on my long john top before we headed out. 

It started snowing as we left the shelter. I was warm, even though my feet were soaked. We missed all the views because   we were clouded in. I missed the plane wreckage marked in the guidebook too. :-( 

My mood was much better after we left the shelter. At first I thought leaving the shelter was a terrible idea, but the snow got lighter and as we descended the scenery was beautiful! I'm just not used to snow and freezing weather so it freaked me out at first. There were certain parts of the trail where there was no avoiding the "swamp." My feet were filthy and soaked. 

I showed up at Cosby Knob Shelter and changed into warm clothes before climbing into my sleeping bag. I booked myself a room at Elmer's in Hot Springs for a zero on Sunday. Woohoo! Bluebird and Wing It are staying at Laughing Heart, one of the other hostels in town. Tigger is staying in a hotel with her parents outside of town. I think most of the rest of the crew is tenting "down by the river." 

Our stuff is strung all around this shelter to dry. We also broke the rules and cooked in here. It's just way too cold out there! 





Best Thing: Beautiful scenery and a warm sleeping bag. 

Looking Forward To: Crossing the border out of the Smokies and on to new adventures!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! It is in the '80's here and then I look at that top picture. I actually love that picture. The contrast of the cold beautiful snow and warmth and clarity of the wood of the shelter and the people inside. Glad you hung in there. As hard as it was, I hope it's one you'll look back on with awe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh snow!!! Your strength is amazing chica! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete