Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day #12 - A Beautiful Day

Miles: 11.3 to Betty Creek Gap campsite 
Weather: 60s/40s and sunny 

I got up early and quietly packed my gear. I managed to get out of the shelter by 7:45 without waking anyone up. Mini victory! Luckily, there were no mice active in the shelter last night. 

It's 9:45 a.m. right now and I'm taking a feet-up break on a log. Stealth just passed! I figured that group was way ahead of me . 

The logs across the path aren't cut in NC so far. We have to climb over them, which can be pretty tricky with 30 lbs on your back. I love the sound of the birds in the morning. My feet are sore but my body feels strong. 

Today was a great day! Beautiful weather. Got to wear leggings and a tee. Lots of seasonal springs and seeps along the way. For the most part the trail was gentle inclines and declines. My knee is healing. Think it will be fine in a week or so. Some bird or something is making a slow thumping sound that speeds up. Turkey? Need to investigate? (Later found out it was a grouse)

Lunched at Carter Gap Shelter with Tigger, True Story, and some guy I don't know. Got to camp by 1:30. It's a beautiful site with a large, ice cold stream. Tigger and I stripped to shorts and sports bras and washed ourselves and our shirts in the stream. Tigger washed her hair. Mine is disgusting but I'll shower in Franklin tomorrow. 

Three of us set up our tents in a little nook in the woods. The leaf litter should make a nice soft bed and a good night's sleep. At our site, Tigger found the EXACT tent stake I needed. Score! What are the odds? 

There's a great, big group of folks here at camp. Lots of bartering food going on. It's funny. I let True Story use my stove so he wouldn't "burn down the forest" so he did my dishes. The leaves here are VERY sticky. 



Gregg now had a trail name. Wiki, as in Wikipedia. Apparently we're not the only ones that think he's a know it all. 

11 miles to Franklin tomorrow to resupply and beat the rain. May zero. Albert Mt looks really steep, but I'm excited to shower, laundry, dine and sleep in a bed! Today was a great day! Look forward to many more. 

Best Thing: Easy hike, big miles, watching camp bartering 

Looking Forward To: Hitting the 100 mile mark and getting to Franklin.

3 comments:

  1. Stacey, this is going to be an incredible documrnt when you are finished. What a wonderful life-changing experience for you !

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mt. Albert is actually a lot of fun! Its a neat little climb at the end. Theres a pretty helpful Baptist church in Franklin that might feed you, buy I'm sure if there is free food anywhere the word will travel on the trail! I plan on sending you a package later this summer, but I'm going to wait for one of those states later on. You'll have to let me know which post offices you will check. Otherwise, I'll maybe see you in Damascus at Trail Days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I went into canoe country in Ontario, we kept hearing that same thing... sounded like a lawnmower in the middle of the woods. Finally spotted it and found out it was a grouse preforming a mating call. Really really interesting and glad you were able to hear it! It's even crazier to watch though. Enjoying the updates!

    ReplyDelete