Monday, April 7, 2014

Day #15 - Trail Magic Galore!

Miles: 11.6 to Cold Spring Shelter 
Weather: 60s/40s with sunny blue skies 

I slept like a baby in Tigger's tent last night. It never did rain. We took our time eating breakfast (I treated myself to one of my oranges) then rolled out around 9:00. Today the miles passed really slowly. We passed some hikers on the trail that asked us if we were thru hikers. When we said yes, they unzipped their daypack and gave us each a bag with two brownies. They joked, "They aren't Colorado brownies." True Story and I ate them immediately. They were delicious! 

Today's hike was tough but at 11:30 we got to a road crossing that had this sign: 



I walked as fast as I could and got there around 1. I feasted on hard boiled eggs, Pringles, pickles, more brownies, fruit, juice, cheese and more! It was great. 



I walked up to the fire tower to use the bathroom. There was no running water, but I was impressed by the 8 rolls of toilet paper! TP is a hot commodity on the AT. 

We finally made it to the first shelter, our planned destination for the day. Tigger and True Story decided to push on. Once they showed me the mileage for the next day, I agreed even though I wanted to take a short day. My knee has been acting up again. I left a note for Little Foot, Stealth, and the German Girls in the shelter register telling them of the change in plans. 

We finally made it to Cold Spring Shekter, which is literally right on the AT. Many shelters are about a half mile or so off the trail. I caught a glimpse of it from down the hill and was so excited to see a man made structure! I took a fully-clothed bandana bath in front of the shelter. A nice couple stopped to talk to me. As I stood there I wondered how long I should wait before cleaning my armpits in front of strangers. It's a different world out here! We talk about poop a lot. 

I changed into my night clothes in the woods. There are definitely leaves in my leggings. Oh well. 

Best Thing: So much trail magic!

Looking Forward To: Nantahala Outdoor Center! Bed! Shower! 

1 comment:

  1. This post made me chuckle. I could picture you standing in a stream making small talk while wondering if you should go ahead an wash your arm pits!
    Leaves in the leggings are never a good thing.......
    Hope the knees feel better!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete